On Sunday November 13 more than 600 community members participated in the San Run for Life Fun Run event.
The Hon. Tony Abbott MP, Member for Warringah and former Prime Minister, was amongst over 600 entrants who participated in the San Foundation organised San Hospital's Run for Life at the weekend.
The annual event was fundraising for the San Integrated Cancer Centre and cancer services at the San.
The events included 10 km run or 5 km walk or run.
The 5 km walk was enjoyed especially by families, many of whom walked for their loved ones affected by cancer.
Several organisation teams ran the 5km run while elite runners took the 10 km option.
The Hon. Mr Abbott officially started the first race and competed with San Foundation Managing Director Barbara Ward and Adventist HealthCare CEO Phil Currie.
Attendees included doctors, nurses and others, many of which nominated the name of someone whose life was touched by cancer.
Federal Minister for Urban Infrastructure and local Federal MP for Bradfield, Paul Fletcher, finished the 5 km run in 24 minutes 43 seconds, while Parliamentary Secretary for Trade and Investment and State MP for Davidson, Jonathan O'Dea, finished the 5km run in 26 minutes 40 seconds.
Almost $80,000 has been raised from the event and will go towards the cancer centre and services for cancer patients.
San ICU nurse and ' The Resuscitators' team member Rebecca Brown finished the 10 km run as the top female runner completing the race in 42 minutes 53 seconds.
Following are the results of the event:
1. Chris Fitzpatrick (Bib # 473) - 31 mins 29 seconds
2. Edward Brooks (Bib # 477) - 32 mins 00 seconds
3. Matthew Fitzpatrick (Bib # 472) - 32 mins 03 seconds
1. David Currer (Bib # 87) - 18 mins 02 seconds
2. Ben Graham (Bib # 296) - 18 mins 26 seconds
3. Lachlan Oakes (Bib # 488) - 19 mins 09 seconds
1. Matt Robbie (Bib # 912) - 36 mins 39 seconds
2. Andrew Heyden (Bib # 858) - 37 mins 07 seconds
3. Lachlan Oakes (Bib # 750) - 37 mins 52 seconds